Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Corpse clutching a McDonald's burger

7 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

30 second commercial:

this article by John Robbins goes into detail regarding the point of the video

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-robbins/how-bad-is-mcdonalds-food_b_754814.html

he mentions that in the documentary Super Size Me the guy who ate exclusively at McDonald's for 30 days the "gained 25 pounds, his cholesterol levels rose dangerously as did fatty accumulations in his liver, and he experienced mood swings, depression, heart palpitations and sexual dysfunction."

on the other hand:

Vegetarians have repeatedly been shown to have lower rates of obesity, coronary heart disease, hypertension, type II diabetes, diverticular disease, constipation and gall stones. They also have lower rates of many kinds of cancer, including colon cancer and the hormone dependent cancers such as prostate cancer, breast cancer, uterine cancer and ovarian cancer.

his strongest point is that:

The standard American diet -- in which 62 percent of calories come from processed foods, 25 percent from animal products and only 5 percent from fruits and vegetables -- is nothing less than a health travesty.

and these are the results:

This year, we will spend more than $2.5 trillion on medical care. But in 1950, five years before Ray Kroc opened the first franchised McDonald's restaurant, Americans only spent $8.4 billion ($70 billion in today's dollars). Even after adjusting for inflation, we now spend as much on health care every 10 days as we did in the entire year of 1950.

of course, he doesn't imply that it's all McDonald's fault but the big fat bottom line is that 63 percent of Americans are overweight or obese and i'd say it is because we are what we eat -- PIGS!

Posted · Report post

1tinsoldier ,

I just decided to check POL before eating my dinner of escorole bean soup for the 3rd consecutive day........... and read this thread.

I haven't eaten meat for a week. I'd like to know if you are totally vegan. I'd like to find eggs from organically fed range (?) chickens. Is there such a thing in AZ?

Also cheese.....?

Posted · Report post

i am in between a veg and a vegan, so i guess i'm a vega

i do eat range-free eggs, cheese when it's on a pizza and desserts that are made from some milk, but there are terrific substitutes

you can buy organic, range free eggs anywhere, including Fry's

Fry's also sells Galaxy cheese substitutes. the American cheese slices are excellent for grilled cheese sandwiches and the shredded mozzarella is perfect for making your own pizza

try the Tofurky meatless turkey slices at Trader Joe's and their own brand of rice milk which is the same as Rice Dream but cheaper

every day i treat myself to to a banana and strawberry or blueberry shake blended with rice milk. it tastes best if the fruit ends up finely chopped rather than fully blended. i buy the fruit frozen so i can use some everyday and if you peel and freeze the bananas also, it blends thicker and colder just like ice-cream but better, and a lot healthier

Posted · Report post

Yes ,I agree with you

Posted · Report post

well here's the latest report which should not be news to anyone who has been paying attention:

save a million people and a trillion dollars per year

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/vegan-lifestyle-save-lives-2050_us_56fe75fde4b0a06d58056f03

...turns out, going vegan could be the key to saving both the planet and millions of lives.

According to researchers at Oxford University, worldwide veganism would also save some $700 billion to $1,000 billion per year on health care, and cut food-related emissions by 70 percent. The findings, published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, mark the first time that researchers have looked into the impact of a worldwide vegan diet on health and climate change.

Posted · Report post

.let us be reasonned consummers.

Most people who don't eat meat are just called "poor"

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you have time to lose/ be entertained with a light storytelling on a heavy subject, I like how this guy retells how American people have tried to get better, fitter (not happier?)

Funny and so true on fitness and obesity (which apparently came under focus with the Coreean war). I do not think it matters if we are vegan or not. It matters if we are responsible or not.

https://youtu.be/K60xHx836T0

Edited by ababof