Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Energy Space: General Discussion

13 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Share your thoughts on the industry and related current events.

• There is no need to announce mainstream news events here. We are more interested in what you have to say.
  • When you do reference an article, please summarize it in your words and link to it. Credit the source. Do not quote more than a few lines.
  • Please debate ideas rather than Party Politics.

Posted · Report post

http://news.yahoo.com/studies-wind-potentially-could-power-world-191005997--finance.html

Earth has more than enough wind to power the entire world, at least technically, two new studies find.

But the research looks only at physics, not finances. Other experts note it would be too costly to put up all the necessary wind turbines and build a system that could transmit energy to all consumers.

The studies are by two different U.S. science teams.

Caldeira's study finds wind has the potential to produce more than 20 times the amount of energy the world now consumes.

Caldeira acknowledged that the world would need to change dramatically to shift to wind.

"To power civilization with wind turbines, I think you're talking about a couple wind turbines every square mile," Caldeira said. "It's not a small undertaking."

Well, if the holdup is investment, I'd say it's the perfect investment in both our present and future. Local jobs today, energy independence and sustainability in the near future. A "a couple wind turbines every square mile" doesn't seem like a problem to me. It seems like a solution!

Posted (edited) · Report post

As always, (in this country, anyway) the holdup is not investment, it's return on investment. Who will invest in saving the planet for tomorrow unless they can make a buck on it today?

The key to making that happen is tax credits for corporations enabling us to harness not just the wind but solar, water, geothermal and all other forms of renewable energy. Strip the tax breaks from the corporations not helping to solve the problem and give them to those who are.

Now, how do we do that?

Edited by REBerg

Posted · Report post

Now, how do we do that?

election reform.

we can't change policy while the politicians are being bought by the big corporations

Posted · Report post

election reform.

we can't change policy while the politicians are being bought by the big corporations

I hate to be repetitive, but how do we do that?

I once suggested, somewhat tongue-in-cheek ,as a means of short-circuiting the political money machine, that candidates take all the special interest money they can, then do nothing in return after being elected. Of course, that would never happen.

The question remains. How do we achieve election reform when those in power are the ones benefiting from the current policies?

Posted · Report post

the key is increasing the democratic process by increasing people power over money power
and doing it in baby steps, 1 at a time -- incremental change
the first practical step would be pressuring politicians to change policies in ways most people would agree on
e.g. making it easier for all citizens to vote, curbing the most obvious abuses of money influence, etc..

Posted · Report post

Decisions, decisions. Constituent pressure vs. special interest commitments. What is a politician to do?

Following the wishes of those who put you in office, also known as doing your job, would put a dent in your income. Continuing to do the bidding of those who are paying you might mean angering your constituents to the point of being replaced in the next election.

How many voter contacts would it take to get an official to the right thing? How do we get people to contact their representatives when we can't even get a majority to the polls to elect them in the first place? 

Posted · Report post

As always, (in this country, anyway) the holdup is not investment, it's return on investment. Who will invest in saving the planet for tomorrow unless they can make a buck on it today?

Boy, you ain't never told no lie!!!!!

Yes, this is exactly the point that I and so many other Keynesians have been saying for decades.  Wall Street is entirely too wrapped up the Now to look to the future. That's why they ship all our jobs to China:  If, today, they can save 5% by doing so (this is the average savings for corporations who out-source off-shore) they will do so, ignoring the fact that by putting people out of work, or by depressing their wages there is no one who can afford their products.  They got it backwards.  

The Keynesians preach bottom up, not trickle down, economics.  The economy is driven by consumerism.  So, make the consumers wealthy, you can sell them a lot.  Make them poor, no one is shopping.  Oh, but that will hurt their bottom line this quarter, and so to hell with tomorrow!

Posted · Report post

Boy, you ain't never told no lie!!!!!

Yes, this is exactly the point that I and so many other Keynesians have been saying for decades.  Wall Street is entirely too wrapped up the Now to look to the future. That's why they ship all our jobs to China:  If, today, they can save 5% by doing so (this is the average savings for corporations who out-source off-shore) they will do so, ignoring the fact that by putting people out of work, or by depressing their wages there is no one who can afford their products.  They got it backwards.  

The Keynesians preach bottom up, not trickle down, economics.  The economy is driven by consumerism.  So, make the consumers wealthy, you can sell them a lot.  Make them poor, no one is shopping.  Oh, but that will hurt their bottom line this quarter, and so to hell with tomorrow!

Absolutely!

How is it that members of the 1 percent see that half of the circle that ends with their profits but are unable to see the half in which they distribute those profits to those who made those profits possible. They are not just employees, they are the consumers who will turn right around and return the money they're given in exchange for the goods and services that drive profits.

Our economy cannot be powered by a broken circle.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Fossil Fuel Energy Industry Is Now Entering Terminal Decline

skip

that context, consider this. Renewables are, today, on the verge of being price competitive with fossil fuels – and already are in many situations. So in 10 years, maybe just five, it is a no-brainer that renewables will be significantly cheaper than fossil fuels in most places and will then just keep getting cheaper. And better.

Then we add in electric cars, which are now on the same path – converting a staid, slow moving industry (traditional auto companies like GM) into a disruptive technology-driven one (innovators like Tesla). Electric cars will accelerate the end of fossil fuels

skip

It's happening TODAY guys...

My heat pump is blowing cool air on me,cost FREE, at this very moment. I'm banking kwh's for heat this Winter, my neighbor, next door, hasn't bought a cent worth of gas for his Chevy Volt since his solar panel installation in April.

I bought me some GM stock (some of us are of moral character and invest in our future.....) after I transferred my IRA to an Ameritrade account the other day..........

.65 of a % doesn't cut it anymore.... GM pays 4.64% at this moment. My gain in a couple of days.........GM +4.9%..........Got to set stops on these stocks, though!

To Reb's point we are paying hugely in subsidizing the fossil fuel Industry.....

The Fossil Fuel Industry Receives $10 Million Every Minute in Subsidies | VICE News 

skip

Greasing the wheels of fossil fuel production — and consumption — will cost $5.3 trillion in 2015, coming in the form of subsidies to oil, natural gas, and coal, according to a report from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

That's right: $10 million every minute of the year goes to keeping fossil fuel prices low and demand high for the benefit of the most profitable industry in history.

According to the IMF's calculations, oil, gas, and coal subsidies are equivalent to 6.5 percent of global gross domestic product. To put that in perspective, total expenditures for public healthcare worldwide equal 6 percent of global GDP.

skip

Knowledge is POWER and WE'RE getting smarter

So hopefully, the 2/3rds of  Democratic voters that stayed home last election will vote this time around

Edited by Magi2

Posted · Report post

I still don't know how to change politics.

I can give you 2 more scandals without noise. Not really official scandals, of course, the (only left investigation paper is under pressure) but what ther hell !!! you have news (that I usually have) I have news that would make you scream/curl your hair/ curdle your blood....but I take it that you don't care. I mean your media don't care. but you know,..too much information kills the information, we're getting so blunt ourselves. not bad, "hyper casher",almost worse because of the coverage... 4 dead(5 inckuding a cop) was bad enough.